The ECO-PROWINE Sustainability label recognises and rewards wineries committed in the ECO-PROWINE sustainability path and reaching pre-defined sustainability performances.
The label helps consumers to recognize wine produced in a more sustainable way - from the environmental, social and economic point of view - and that have been validated by a European consortium. Before wineries can use the label, indeed, a verification procedure is performed by the ECO-PROWINE staff, ensuring the correctness of data, and that a certain level of sustainability performances has been reached. Moreover, the alpha-numeric code printed on the label allows consumers to obtain information about the winery's performances. This allows consumer to gain confidence about their sustainable choices.
Using the ECO-PROWINE label brings a range of potential benefits to wineries, helping them to stand out from competitors and attracting conscious consumers. Moreover, the procedure at the base at the label (through the use of the ECO-PROWINE web-tool) allows produces to have a clear vision of its performances, to understand where improvements should be gaines and how these improvement could be realized.
The ECO-PROWINE sustainability label is only released as part of the approval process defined below.
Steps to obtain and use the ECO-PROWINE Sustainability Label
1. Join the ECO-PROWINE Project. Perform the Detailed Assessment Test in the ECO-PROWINE web-tool.
2. Obtain an Environmental Global Indicator value over the benchmark value (the benchmark value is the lower score needed in order to get the label) and positively answer to a certain number of economic and social questions.
3. Submit your results for validation. During this period, additional information and copies of the data provided can be requested for the validation of the inputs provided.
4. Get approval and receive the label. When the validation is over, wineries are notified by email that they can find their final results in a link (provided in the email). By clicking on this, the user is redirected to a section of the tool with a link to download the label in a format that can be used to the bottles of wine produced by the awarded winery. This email also inform the user about the consultancy services that ECO-PROWINE offers, together with the terms and conditions for its use.
5. Winery is added to the ECO-PROWINE's website. Once approved, the ECO-PROWINE staff will promote the winery on a dedicated section of its website. Also, a specific section of the website is dedicated to the winery-code input. Indeed, the label contains an alpha-numeric code. This code - specific for each winery and reproduced on each label - allows consumers to see all the details related to the winery (e.g. sustainability indicators and performances) simply inserting it in the specific area of the website.
What happens if the winery does not reach the minimum sustainability level?
In case that the winery does not achieve the minimum sustainability performance level, the system informs the user about the unsuccessful result and that the winery has not been allowed to gain the ECO-PROWINE label. A new assessment will be allowed in one-year-time, allowing the winery to obtain the level given that some improvements have been made and the minimum sustainability level has been reached.
Once the label has been obtained by the winery, it has a validity of two years. During this period, the company can use the logo on its bottles, packaging, leaflet, website, advertising materials etc.
Two years after the last successful assessment, the user will receive an email, notifying him that the ECO-PROWINE label will expire in due time and that if he want to retain the label, he has to take the assessment again. The email will also contain the link to the web-tool, allowing the user to directly access to the tool and take the assessment.
In order to retain the label, the winery has to demonstrate a certain level of improvement in its sustainability performances. Hence, the global indicator has to be higher than the previous one, and improvements have also to be reached in the number of positive answers to the social and economic questions.
The following improvement measures have been established:
If one of these conditions is not satisfied, the Label cannot be retained.
The reference period to obtain the label is 2 years before that the data entered by the winery refer to. For example, if the winery runs the test after April 2013 (e.g. in May), the input data will refer to the previous season (May 2012 - April 2013) and the reference period for the benchmark is May 2011 - April 2012. The benchmarking is based on the results achieved in the years of the reference period.
The benchmark value is the value used as a reference to allow winery to obtain the label. For the first period, this value has been obtained analysing the results obtained by the pilot wineries across Europe that have joined the project. It has been calculated on the period May 2011 - April 2012. Wineries that will enter in the project will be assessed and benchmarked against this value. The benchmark value has a period of two years. This means that a new analysis will be performed and a new benchmark value will be obtained for the period May 2014 - April 2015, taking into considerations values obtained by all the companies participating in the project until that period. Companies that will ask for the label will be assessed based on this new value.
More information on the ECOPROWINE Sustainability Label can be found here.
More information on the ECOPROWINE Self-Assessment tool can be found here